Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Girl thing is a Guy's business too


Last night I was reading a book when I sensed that my period came. I didn’t have extra feminine napkins left, so I asked my brother to run to the supermarket to get me some pads. When he returned, he told me he was never going to buy feminine napkins anymore – he had forgotten which brand I was using and people were giving him strange looks merely searching for pads at the rack.

I remember I was 11 when I had my first period. I was on vacation at my uncle’s place and I was so embarrassed to tell him about it. Clueless as to what he would do, he congratulated me anyway and asked if there was anything he could get for me.

Apparently, the subject still appears to be taboo in this almost-digital world. I guess it’s important for men to be very supportive of girls who go through this phase. This is but a time in a young girl’s life when she gets curious; a time to empower her into womanhood. Perhaps if they learned to do so, then it would be a lot easier for them in the future to figure out women who go through menopause.

Here’s an interesting book I found entitled, “The Period Party”. This self-published book helps empower young girls who are entering a turning point in her life as a woman. The Period Party is not a ‘for-girls-only’ book – it is also helpful for guys as well. Men need to understand that there is nothing to be ashamed of when dealing with this subject. Fathers, uncles, brothers and even boyfriends should know they play an important role in a young girl’s transition.

I’d definitely recommend this book to my brother. That way, he might change his mind about not getting me feminine napkins at the supermarket next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment